Home and school situations differ, but most people want to be the best possible parents. Good grades are important but alone are not enough to ensure children will grow up to live happy and productive lives. Released Time Bible Education can help you to accomplish just that!
Independent research and experiences demonstrate that children participating in Released Time programs do better academically and have fewer behavioral problems. These programs have a positive impact on the culture and success of public school students by teaching biblically-based character and leadership skills, engaging in prayer for and with students, reducing disciplinary issues, reducing violence, reducing vandalism, and increasing students’ responsibility and self respect.
Released Time Bible Education is the only legal means to devotionally teach the Bible to public school children during the school day. These programs are voluntary, privately funded and are held off school grounds during the school day.
Do Released Time Bible Education classes interfere with the school day?
No. Released Time classes do not interfere with your child’s mandatory school courses or afterschool activities. The class schedule is set by school personnel in consultation with Released Time staff. Usually the Released Time classes are scheduled for times when other electives are offered.
“My Life Lessons class has been a wonderful experience for me. It helps me get through the day knowing what God wants me to do.”-10th grade girl
“The Bible Basics class has changed my views and brought me closer to God. I’ve started reading my Bible, and my attitude towards life and the people in it has changed for the positive. I am very thankful for this class and don’t know where I would be without it.”- 9th grade girl
“When I first came here, I was an atheist. Then I started to think and to read about God/Christianity and now I have become a Christian.”-7th grade boy
“I got saved here at Release Time. I feel that God is with me. I am so glad I am with Him.”-7th grade boy
“My family does not go to church regularly so Release Time helps me be able to tell my family about Jesus.”-8th grade girl
“I have gone to Release Time for three years and will be taking Bible Basics next year for high school credit.”-8th grade girl
What are the requirements for my child to attend a Released Time program?
The program is FREE! Parents or guardians are required to sign permission forms provided by the local Released Time program.
Are Released Time Bible Education classes held on school grounds?
No. Released Time classes are held off school campus in a nearby classroom. If the classroom is not within walking distance, transportation is provided by the Released Time program.
What are the basics of a Released Time Bible Education class?
- Released Time classes are offered for grades 1-12; however, some programs may only offer Released Time classes to specific grade levels.
- Classes range from one to five hours per week depending on the school and program schedule.
- In some locations academic credit may be given at the high school level.
So, what are some of the benefits of Released Time to students?
Research documented in Hardwired to Connect has verified that youth who regularly participate in religious activities like School Ministries’ RTBE are often more successful in all aspects of school and in the community.
- Improved involvement and development in school and in the community
- Improved relationships with family and friends
- Stronger self confidence and regard for others
- Reduction in risk-taking behavior
- Positive coping skills for a variety of life situations
- A greater connection to God, leading to a stronger understanding of life and a greater self purpose.
How do I find out if there is already a School Ministries RTBE program in my area?
And if there is not a program in our area, what products and services are offered by School Ministries to help start up a new Released Time program?
- You may inquire about existing RTBE programs or learn more about starting up a new program by contacting the School Ministries national office. Contact Us
- The First Steps Kit, available through the Products Center, consists of booklets, manuals and brochures that will guide you through the steps of developing a successful Christian RTBE program. It also includes a DVD that provides an overview of RTBE and its benefits. To learn more about Released Time, please visit www.ReleasedTime.org.